Monday, February 11, 2013

Meatless Monday

Please excuse our crazy blog design. I finally figured out how to add our header back but now everything is all out of whack. Hang in there with us...it'll eventually be back to normal!


Even though we're nowhere near being vegetarians or vegan, I like to read Mama Pea's blog. I was always scared to try her recipes but I finally decided to give it a shot a few months ago. I searched through all of her recipes and came across one for Roasted Chickpea Tacos. My husband and I love tacos so I thought, why not?! 

Who knew this would become part of our regular dinner rotation? D thinks that you have to have some type of meat in order to have a complete meal. I finally proved him wrong with this recipe! Coming from a bacon loving, steak eating man, this recipe gets two thumbs up :)

Here's what you need (original recipe can be found here):


2 t. chili powder
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. onion powder
1/4 t. dried oregano
1 1/2 t. ground cumin
1 t. sea salt
1 T. lime juice
2 T. water
1 14 oz. can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
taco shells

Directions: Combine chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, ground cumin, sea salt, lime juice, and water in a large bowl. Add in chickpeas. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes. When you're ready to start cooking, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet (the kind that has a rim around the edges so the chickpeas won't roll off--I'm sure it has an official name but I don't know it!) with cooking spray. Place the chickpeas on the baking sheet and cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring once during that time. You'll know when the chickpeas are done because they'll be a little crispy. While the chickpeas are cooking, prepare the taco shells according to the directions on the package. Once everything is ready, add your toppings and enjoy!




 

2 comments: